Friday, July 31, 2015

We All Need More Positivity In Our Lives

 I never knew my job as Social Media Director could be so depressing at times. With this position, I am always looking for something to share with our clients. Whether it be cute, funny, educational or even sad, I’m always looking. I can be sitting at my desk crying over a rescue story and then 2 minutes later, laughing my butt off over a video of kittens!! Here lately, there’s been more sad than good. This just makes me want to find something fun or cute, more than ever. Today, I’ve seen a lot of posts regarding Cecil the lion being shot and killed. I’ve also seen a lot of posts informing people of all the other animals that are being abused and that it’s BEEN going on, yet no one takes notice. I see how human lives are being destroyed by other humans and how the media downplays some and hypes up others. I see so many animals looking for their forever homes and too many kids are missing, handicapped or sick from some sort of cancer. The sadness is almost overwhelming at times and it can certainly put you in a foul mood, if you allow it. Me, I won’t allow it. When I begin to feel like the negativity of the world is weighing on my shoulders too much, I go play with kittens. Puppies too if there’s any available, but there’s almost always kittens here and that’s where I go. It’s not a permanent fix to the world’s problems, just a temporary fix for my own sanity.


  If we don’t have kittens or puppies available, I’ll wander through our hospital and look for some positivity. For instance, I love seeing an animal that’s been here for days, sick in our hospital, fully recuperated and jumping on their family and pulling their owners out the door! Or, the family that is picking up their newly adopted kitten and the pure joy on the kids’ face as they’re holding their new best friend. Even better is listening to a doctor tell an owner that a biopsy came back negative and that they still get to enjoy their fur baby for years to come! And the clients that make sure we know how much they appreciate all that we do, we can’t get enough of that positivity! We frequently receive thank you cards from our clients and surprisingly enough, they are often after we have euthanized a pet of theirs. They thank us for the healthy, happy years that we took care of their pet and they thank us for how we helped them through the death also. Those are the biggest compliments; when we receive praise while doing the worst part of this job. The above mentioned compliments are often followed by tears of both happiness and sorrow; we, as animal lovers, understand why they thanked us.

 So, basically, what I’m saying is this...Yes, there’s tons of sad and depressing news in the world but there’s also a lot of happiness to be found. You just have to look for it sometimes. Mr. Rogers taught me that!
 
Fred Rogers   ”When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” Fred Rogers






I’m lucky enough to work with many “helpers” and I wouldn’t want any other job than this one! Finding more positivity in my life is easy. I hope I can help you find some too!

No comments:

Post a Comment